Since mid March when the COVID-19/Coronavirus outbreak was declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization, the way we live our lives and take care of ourselves has changed dramatically.
We at Howerton Eye are closely monitoring the situation and are taking a number of precautions to help slow the spread of the virus. We know that many people are feeling fear and anxiety about going out in public, but are still in need of crucial health care, for example eye care. Therefore, we’d like to outline our response to the current crisis and how we are caring for our patients during this difficult time.
How We’re Handling COVID-19
The CDC has already released a number of guidelines for everyone to follow to slow the spread and flatten the curve of Coronavirus transmission. All our staff members are carefully following these recommendations. This is easy for us because as one of the top eye care facilities in Kyle, Southwest Austin, and Austin, TX, we already need to follow stringent guidelines for sanitation and cleanliness.
As a healthcare facility, we’re required to follow existing CDC guidelines and recommendations to maintain cleanliness and limit the risk of infectious disease transmission. This includes:
- Regularly changing and cleaning all cloths and linens
- Keeping non-critical (not used in patient care) surfaces visibly clean at all times
- Cleaning high-touch surfaces like doorknobs with both detergent and an EPA-registered disinfectant
- Regularly sterilizing any instruments used in patient care
In addition to these CDC regulations, we follow the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard, which requires us to handle all needles and biological waste according to strict guidelines and to use work safety equipment like gloves, masks, and gowns whenever there’s a possibility of contact with bodily fluids.
These practices are a part of our standard operating procedure and ensure that our Kyle, Southwest Austin, and Austin, TX facilities minimize the possibility of infectious disease transmission to the greatest extent possible.
Our Updated Practice Policies
Our practice is also adopting new measures to further ensure the safety of our patients, our staff, and their families.
Howerton Eye is OPEN REGULAR HOURS at all three locations for all patients in need of eye care. Contact us now to schedule your in-office appointment or Telehealth visit with an Ophthalmologist.
In order to keep our patients and staff safe, all patients are REQUIRED TO WEAR some form of a face covering during their appointments. Please arrive with your face covering already in place when you check-in to your appointment. As part of our new safety precautions your temperature will be checked upon arrival.
If you are scheduled for an appointment or need to schedule an appointment please review the questions below and contact our office prior to your appointment if you answer yes to any of the following:
- Do you currently have a fever or any respiratory issues including shortness of breath or coughing?
- Have you tested positive for COVID -19 in the last 30 days or are you currently seeking a diagnosis for COVID -19?
- Have you been around anyone else with a fever or respiratory issues in the last 14 days?
- Have you been around anyone who is being tested for COVID-19 or already has a positive diagnosis of COVID -19 in the last 14 days?
- Have you or someone you’ve had contact with traveled in the last 14 days?
Contact Your Local Eye Care Facility
At Howerton Eye, our number one priority has always been and will always be offering exceptional eye care to our patients in a safe and professional environment. If you have more questions about our practice’s operating procedure during the evolving COVID-19 situation, our response, or want to reschedule your next eye care appointment, we encourage you to reach out to our practice.
We thank you for your patience and understanding! Please CONTACT US if you have any questions; WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!